Thursday, May 14, 2009

Water by Deepa Mehta


Category: Hindi

I've read a lot about this film, hearing how it got rave reviews and it's director being so awesome and bla bla. So I decided to pick this up. The movie was fine.

So the basic premise: It's about widows and their lives, it's set during the Gandhian era so that is an interesting twist to the entire film. There's Lisa Ray who's acting is actually not so bad, John Abraham is good and Seema Biswas is impressive as always. There are many familiar faces for Hindi film goers and interesting characters ranging from Vinay Pathak's Brown Sahib to Raghuvir Yadav's Eunuch. It just got a little too much for me at the end so I had to not bother till the titles come out. But I think the real performance of this film had to be the young girl Chuyia, there's something really extra-ordinary about her.

Recommendation level: 3/5. I got bored towards the latter half of the film, maybe the pace seemed a little too slow. It should be available in any Crossword or Landmark you come across in Mumbai/India.

No comments:

Post a Comment