Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Love Aaj Kal by Imtiaz Ali

Category: Hindi

I don't get the opportunity anymore to cover any contemporary Hindi films so when I got a chance to just watch this I figured I'd do a few lines on this film.

Hah! For a while in my head Imtiaz Ali & Anurag Kashyap seemed to be the messiah's of a dried up cinema. I clubbed them together because their friends as well... Then they made Jab We Met & No Smoking around the same time - completely different styles. Now they have Dev.D (and Gulaal) & Love Aaj Kal. It seems like they reversed roles somehow, because DevD is actually watchable and Love Aaj Kal isn't.

The film has a track about love in the past and love now, both in the same film, both with Saif Ali Khan and the film is really fail. Imtiaz seems so confused in this film, he either doesn't know how to end it or Saif (also the producer and lead) demanded he goes on. There are some scenes which are strongly executed, it's edited really crappily though. We always compliment our heroes and heroines but I think if the director made a better effort at controlling the script and where it was headed this movie could have been pretty okay.

I suppose you can go watch this film if you're really bored or on a first date! But if you are one of just lost the 'love of your life' you might just get really toasted. It's terribly sentimental and stacked with melodrama especially towards the climax. Oh there's also Rahul Khanna in a fail role & a Brazilian girl as a Punjabi Kudi.

Recommendation level: 1/5 - It's hard to rate hindi films, I might like them but others don't! Also the film isn't all that bad for a Bollywood film!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Elroy..Saved my 150 bucks...:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that you didn't like Love Aaj Kal. I couldn't stand it. So similar to Jab We Met minus an annoying Kareena! Plus so far, I was the only one who really didn't like it amongst my 'group of friends'. El! Cheers to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well to be honest I have mixed feelings for such films because it's not like we have something superbly awesome coming out of Bollywood anyway that we can mercifully junk even half baked cookies like this one.

    I think we're all stupid anyway, we complain about the films they unleash us but we're also fully aware that they need to make such films because of the dumbing down of the masses.

    ReplyDelete